What is the GM Foundation?
It is a charitable organization, begun in 1976, that has “donated hundreds of millions of dollars to deserving charities, educational organizations and disaster relief efforts worldwide,” according to the organization’s website.
The Buick Achievers Scholarship Program is a scholarship which the Foundation offers that helps students who wouldn’t otherwise have the financial means to attend college and obtain a four-year degree. According to guidelines laid out by the Foundation, GM seeks to reward students who’ve attained flying colors both inside and outside the classroom. That means that not only do students have to exhibit good grades, they must also show they’ve participated in extracurricular activities. Speaking to the students directly, Buick said it’s a “reward for what you’ve made of yourself and the difference you are making for others.”
More specifically, the rewards grants 50 first-time freshmen and existing college students $25,000 a year to help them as they pursue auto industry-related degrees. We at Crawford Buick GMC encourage all interested parties to apply here.
Buick is ready to have a bit of fun in 2015 by offering its first convertible model in 25 years. The new Buick Cascada convertible, which debuted last week at the 2015 North American International Auto Show, combines a topless silhouette with a fun-to-drive powertrain to yield one of the best cruising vehicles in the industry.
“The new, 2016 Buick Cascada is a beautiful, engaging convertible that represents the very best of the brand’s global development practices,” said Duncan Aldred, vice president of Buick. “It’s a car that will delight customers with its fun spirit and help drive the momentum that’s fueling Buick’s success.”
Buick creates the Cascada’s fun spirit with a 2+2 seating configuration, which provides plenty of room for passengers of all shapes and sizes. The car’s 1.6-liter turbocharged engine churns out a peppy 200 horsepower, making the Cascada fun to drive. The interior creates a comfortable, connected atmosphere with General Motors’ OnStar 4G LTE and a seven-inch color touchscreen.
The newest addition to Buick’s lineup will arrive in dealerships in early 2016. Until then, make sure you check back with Crawford Buick GMC for updates on the new Buick Cascada convertible.
Many people feel a general let down once January rolls around—all the fun from the holidays are over and we just have a long winter ahead of us. Luckily, down here in El Paso, winters stay reasonably mild, so there are still plenty of things to do both inside and out. Here are a few January events in El Paso which Crawford Buick GMC believes will keep your spirits up.
- Sunset Strolls. If you love the scenic nature of our natural environment, head to the White Sands National Monument any evening between 4:15 PM and 5:15 PM now through January 16th. There you can take part in a sunset stroll.
- Flamenco Class. Many people turn the New Year into a learning experience. If that’s what you’re looking for, take part in the Flamenco class at the El Paso Museum of History. This class runs from January 8th through February 26th from 6:00-7:00 PM.
- Chicago the Musical. In the mood for some great entertainment? The Plaza Theatre will be presenting Chicago the Musical January 13th and 14th at 7:30 PM.
- Digital Photography Class. The El Paso Museum of History has a wide range of learning opportunities, including a Digital Photography Fundamentals class running from January 15th through March 5th from 6:00 PM to 7:30 PM.
- UTEP Basketball. You can always catch the Miners’ Basketball Team in-action! Visit UTEP Athletics’ website for their full schedule.
Do you have any January events in the El Paso areas to recommend?
Whether you celebrated or not, National Pet Travel Safety Day was on January 2nd. In order to commemorate this event, we at Crawford Buick GMC have assembled some suggestions to keep in mind when driving with a pet.
According to the NPTSD, founded by pet advocate and lifestyle expert Colleen Paige, the most important thing to keep in mind when travelling with a pet is to keep them secure. Not only will this keep them at rest if they get nervous, but it will also protect them in the event of an accident.
“As a former paramedic in busy Southern California, I responded to many an accident caused by driver distraction due to pets in the vehicle,” said Paige. “It’s very sad when a dog or cat never even makes it home to their new life because they didn’t survive the accident…[sometimes] all of the tragedy could have been prevented with a single dog harness.”
Some other tips are to always carry treats and water with you. Remember to reward your pet for good behavior and keep them hydrated. It’s also important to pull over frequently and give your pets a break.
Last but not least, remember to have fun and make memories when travelling with your furry companion.