With the sandstorms behind us and the winter season quickly approaching, Crawford Buick GMC would like to remind everyone about the importance of vehicle maintenance and taking precautions while braving the roads in the cold. While we might not see extremely cold temperatures here in El Paso, the holiday season has many of us traveling to areas that do. Your vehicle needs a little extra TLC in the winter just like you do, so we’ve compiled a few winter car care tips to help keep your vehicle running efficiently this winter:
- Replace filters. Did you know that a clogged or dirty filter can cause you to burn more fuel? A good rule of thumb is to inspect air, fuel, and PCV filters to see if they need replaced before each season.
- Check your headlights. This one might seem like common sense, but driving in areas with any type of winter precipitation makes it much more difficult to see other cars and roadway hazards. Aside from just checking to see if you have two working headlights, make sure your headlights are clean from dirt and film. For bonus points, check your taillights, too.
- Ensure your battery has plenty of juice. Colder temperatures and winter weather put added stress on your car battery, especially if you park your vehicle outside. A quick battery check is a much better option than getting stranded in the cold.
- Tire Pressure. When temperatures drop so does tire pressure. Underinflated tires don’t get as much traction against pavement, making it harder to go over snow covered or icy roads. Don’t forget to check the tire pressure in your spare, too.
- Survival Kit. Even with the most careful maintenance on a car, there’s always a chance you could still become stranded. A survival kit with a thermal blanket, lighter, whistle, flashlight with extra batteries, and metal cup for melting snow is a must. Adding a few non-perishable snacks, like dried fruit or granola bars, wouldn’t hurt either. Be sure to keep this survival kit inside the cabin of you vehicle. It won’t do you any good if it’s in the trunk and you can’t access it.
If you need help getting your car in shape for winter, swing by the service department at Crawford Buick GMC. Our experienced and friendly staff will be happy to help!